- Dolphin Energy has two offshore production platforms, DOL-1 and DOL-2, in its concession area, located to the north east of Qatar’s Ras Laffan Industrial City (between 70 and 90 kilometres offshore).
- After two years of production, Dolphin Energy required a solution to validate whether their current systems were accurate enough for inferring total single phase flow rates for each well and also establish if there was a convenient alternative to using test separators.
- Well head surveillance was undertaken using ActiveSONAR™ clamp on metering on 6” pipe
- Full multi rate production testing was performed over a period of 24 hours, measuring the total volumetric wet gas flow rate on selected wells
- Sonar flow rates at actual conditions were recorded at each rate and converted to standard conditions using line pressure, temperature and a calculated compressibility factor
- Test separator was operated in its normal manner to provide a reference point
- ActiveSONAR™ flow meter was reading on average 3-4% higher than the dry gas reference meter (data was compared with the dry gas separator flow rates supplied by Dolphin Energy)
- Dolphin Energy concluded that they were very satisfied with clamp on sonar metering:
– No loss or interruption to production
– Quick and inexpensive solution
– Accurate and reliable results
– An effective alternative to traditional test separators